The last few weeks all my spare time has been consumed by either vacation (can I go back?) or working at my daughter's new home helping her get everything in order for a state daycare license. The playground has taken forever but I think it is finally getting there.
We started with a fence I found on Craigslist......quite by accident! Then an idea that has been brewing for a loooooong time started taking shape. A tire tunnel.
it started out looking like this........both my brothers, my nephew and a friend of ours all pitched in one night to help Joni/Marcus/Larry/Jake and I put the fence up and bury the tires. We were quite the crew!!
Then Joni and I made a trip to Lowe's and Sutherland's and found some outdoor primer that was a mistint for CHEAP. We primed all the tires and went at them with cans of brightly colored spray paint. I would recommend painting before you bury if anyone else tries this at home!
Then we made some teepee style frames for the big swings. She also put up a smaller frame for toddler swings that is to the left of where I am standing to take the picture. We put the braces and swings on this the next day.
and for the grand finale...................
Larry and I disassebled the old telephone pole swingset and slide we had in our backyard from when our 3 kids were little. We salvaged all the 1x's we could to make platforms and cut the slide down. Add some more paint, a few 2 x 4's, lots of screws, and some pvc pipe to make railing and voila......you have a tire tunnel the whole neighborhood is talking about LOL. The kids can go over, under and around. There is another slide and wall on the back side to match. We have the rock holds ordered to add to the walls to make rock climbing walls for the kids. We will add some graffiti to the walls once those are in place. The kids love it.......even my 16 year old, football playing, girl chasing son has been caught going over and through the tunnels! We will add mats in this weekend once we get them cleaned up, painted and cut but the kids don't seem to mind crawling around in the dirt......Joni does mind having to clean all them up to go back in the house though.
So there you have it. My creative bug led me to the biggest project I have ever tried to accomplish. I must say........this is the first time that a project in my head actually worked out as good in real life as I could see it on the screen in my head. Thanks goodness........I think Joni and I would have both cried had it not worked out.
Hopefully this week I'll get back to some scrappin' also. It is entirely to hot to do anything outside and if I get my scraproom cleaned up so I can find my counter, I plan on kicking out a layout or two!